Jhagardang Nagardang (Chandi Charitar – Dasam Granth)
A RESPONSE TO MALAYSIAN GURDWARA COUNCIL & DASAM GRANTH AUTHENCITY
In view of the recent letter issued by Malaysian Gurdwara Council (MGC) dated 6th January 2017 (Refer to attached PDF file: MGC Letter 6Jan2017) with Subject Line: Purported “Hukumnama” by Jathedar Patna Sahib on 5th Jan 2017 is an OPINION. The signatory of the letter is the President of the (MGC).
I wish to draw the reader’s attention to point No 2. Of the letter which states as follows:
2. That only Akal Thakt can issue “Hukumnamas, Mattas, Gurmattas etc.” The other 4 Thakts (Patna Sahib, Hazur Sahib, Keshgarh Sahib and Damdama Sahib), are subservient to Akal Thakt and cannot issue Hukumnamas.
WHAT is a TAKHAT?
According to the authoritative Sikh Dictionary/Encyclopedia Mahan Kosh written by Bhai Kahn Singh, Nabha that was published in 1930; below is the relevant meaning for the word ਤਖ਼ਤ (Takhat)
(3) ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬਾਨ ਦਾ ਸਿੰਘਾਸਨ. ਖ਼ਾਸ ਕਰਕੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦੇ ਚਾਰ ਤਖ਼ਤ- ਅਕਾਲਬੁੰਗਾ, ਪਟਨਾ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦਾ ਹਰਿਮੰਦਿਰ, ਕੇਸਗੜ੍ਹ ਅਤੇ ਹ਼ਜੂਰ ਸਾਹਿਬ (ਅਬਿਚਲਨਗਰ).
The throne of of Guru Sahiban, especially the four takhats of Guru Sahib, Akal Bunga, Patna Sahib’s Harimandar, Keshgarh and Hazur Sahib.
The only name of the Takhat missing in the above is that of Sri Damdama Sahib, Talwandi Sabo Ki. The reason for this could be, the said Takhat was probably not yet declared a Takhat at the time of writing the Mahan Kosh. Anyway the above is not the issue of contention in this article.
Here is some information pertaining to the declaration of Takhat Sri Damdama Sahib obtained from a website
Resolution No: 789 passed by the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) of Amritsar, July 30, 1966 formally declared Takhat Sri Damdama Sahib to be the official fifth seat of temporal power. The Indian government formally recognized the appointment in April of 1999 during the tricentennial Vaisakhi celebration commemorating the birth of the Khalsa Nation. However a certain sect of Sikhs have yet to follow suit.
- Using another word search ਪੰਜ ਤਖਤ the meaning from Mahan Kosh is given below.
ਅਕਾਲਬੁੰਗਾ, ਪਟਨਾ ਸਾਹਿਬ, ਕੇਸਗੜ੍ਹ, ਅਬਿਚਲਨਗਰ ਅਤੇ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥਸਾਹਿਬ ਦੇ ਹਜੂਰ ਖਾਲਸਾਦੀਵਾਨ.
Akal Bunga, Patna Sahib, Keshgarh, Abchalnagar and Khalsa Diwan in the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib.
I would like to again draw the reader’s attention to the meaning in bold letters which I will discuss later in this article.
- The underlying reason that led to the appointment of the five takhats is the fact that in the course of Sikh history, Hukumnamas were issued by the Gurus from those places. Based on this fact alone, EACH and EVERY Takhat Sahib has the full power and authority to issue a Hukumnama independently, without fear or favour. Hence the MGC should not mislead the sangat by saying that “the other 4 Takhats are subservient to Akal Takhat and cannot issue Hukumnamas”.
A PREVIOUS HUKUMNAMA ISSUED BY TAKHAT SRI PATNA SAHIB JI
To further fortify the above view on the authority of the Takhat Sahib, appended herewith is an image of a previous hukumnama that was issued by the said Takhat Sahib dated 10 April 2008, which declares Professor Darshan Singh Ragi a Tankhaia (guilty and punishable). (Refer to attached PDF file: Patna Letter -Ragi Darshan 10Apr2008)
This one example of a Hukumnama is proof enough that ALL the Takhat Sahibs can issue a Hukumnama and hence nullifies the WRONG OPINION of MGC which seems to be intentional to mislead the Sikh sangat.
5 REASONS WHY SRI DASAM GRANTH SAHIB IS WRITTEN BY GURU GOBIND SINGH JI
Listed below are 5 solid and indisputable reasons and facts obtained from the above Hukumnama which lead me to believe Sri Dasam Granth Sahib is Guru Gobind Singh Ji’s Bani.
1. The Presence of a Hardcopy of Complete Sri Dasam Granth (SDG) in Takhat Sri Patna Sahib
According to the Hukumnama a Year 1755 Bikrami (1698 A.D) bound copy of the SDG that carries the signatures of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji is in the Takhat’s possession.
To me this is probably the strongest evidence that proves beyond any reasonable doubt that the SDG is a creation of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Before MGC or any non believers of the SDG can claim it to be otherwise, the Onus is on them to prove that the signatures are NOT that of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji and the script is also Not His handwriting. If they fail to do this then the Sikh Sangat of Malaysia must not only reject their claims but also call for a nationwide gathering and form a Khalsa Diwan in the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji (refer to meaning of panj takhat in item ‘2’ above) which will act as a Takhat and decide on the appropriate action that must be taken against them.
2.The Presence of A Combined Bound Copy of SDG and SGGS JI, Compiled By Shaheed Bhai Mani Singh Ji
According to the same Hukumnama with the consent of Mata Sundar Kaur Ji (Wife of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji), a combined copy of Bani from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji was created which is currently in Delhi. The Sikh Panth after consultation with Bhai Mani Singh Ji and Mata Sundar Kaur Ji decided the Bani of the Living Guru Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji be kept in a separate copy while the parkash of the SDG copy be done separately and parallel to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
The above decision was implemented accordingly. When Mata Sundar Kaur Ji appointed Bhai Mani Singh Ji as the Head Granthi of Sri Harmandir Sahib and the Jathedar of Sri Akal Takhat Sahib, the parkash of SDG was done in Sri Akal Takhat Sahib parallel to SGGS ji.
This again goes on to prove that the Sikh Panth has decided that SDG in its entirety (including Charitropakhyan) is written by Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Before the MGC can postulate that the charitropakhyan is not part of the SDG, they should carry out a review on any one or both of the above mentioned copies of SDG first to prove their claims.
3.Parkash of SDG at Takhat Sri Damdama Sahib, Talwandi Sabo
Another fact extracted from the same Hukumnana states that the second Panthik decision to do the parkash of SDG in parallel to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji occurred in the above stated Takhat Sahib when Bhai Sukha Singh Ji and Bhai Mehtab Singh Ji returned safely after beheading Massa Ranghar. The Parkash of the SDG continued in the Takhat Sahib until 1970 A.D.
Similarly, many years ago, the parkash of SDG used to be carried out in Takhat Sri Keshgarh Sahib. The SDG in its entirety is a written creation of a single pen; that pen belonged to SRI GURU GOBIND SINGH JI MAHARAJ.
The hukumnama further states that “Therefore Takhat Sri Akal Takhat Sahib, Takhat Sri Keshgarh Sahib, Takhat Sri Damdama Sahib, Talwandi Sabo should implement the parkash of the SDG parallel to SGGS Ji as it used be done before, and restore the ancient Maryada of Khalsa Panth, that was implemented by Shaheed Bhai Mani Singh Ji.
4.The Indisputable Credibility of Shaheed Bhai Mani Singh Ji
The Hukumnama from Takhat Sri Patna Sahib also highlights the following virtues of Bhai Mani Singh Ji.
- Shaheed Bhai Mani Singh Ji was left to do seva (service) of Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji at the age of 13 by his father, at Kirat Pur Sahib.
- Bhai Sahib spent 78 years of his life in the service of four Guru Sahiban (S.G. Har Rai Sahib Ji, S.G. Har Krishan Sahib Ji, S. G. Tegh Bahadur Sahib Ji & S.G. Gobind Singh Sahib Ji).
- In course of his service of S. G. Gobind Singh Ji-where Guru ji appointed him to be his scribe for His Bani, he was also in charge of keeping the records of all of Guru Gobind Singh Ji’s Bani.
- Shaheed Bhai Mani Singh Ji sacrificed his physical body at age of 91 by way allowing it to be chopped at all body joints (bandh bandh means at all joints of the bones in the body).
- There is no one else who has more knowledge of Guru Ji’s Bani than Bhai Mani Singh ji.
5.Letter From Shaheed Bhai Mani Singh Ji to Mata Sundar Kaur Ji
Appended below is image of a historical letter sent Bhai Sahib to Mata Sundar Kaur Ji which proves that Bhai Sahib actually compiled the SDG which included Charitropakhyan, a bani which seems to be a heated point of contention by the believers and non believers of SDG. This letter was sourced from the patshahi 10 website.
Translation of Letter From Shaheed Bhai Mani Singh Ji:
May the Almighty help us. Mani Singh makes his humble prostration at the feet of the holy venerable mother.
Further news is that the climate of this place has aggravated my rheumatism and my health deteriorates fast. I will have to listen to the healing parable of the tertian fever. But my illness has caused no slackness in the performance of the holy service of the Hari Mandir.
The Khalsa no more hods away over the country and its power has waned. The Sikhs have migrated to the mountain retreats. The Malacchas reign supreme in the country. There is no security for the (Sikh) children and women in any habitation. They are hunted out and killed.
The opposing states have also joined hands with them. The Hindalis spy on the Sikhs. All (the Sikhs) have deserted the Chak (the earliest name of Amritsar). The Mutsaddis (priests) have also fled. So far the Immortal Lord protects me. Tomorrow is uncertain. What is ordained by the Lord shall prevail.
The adopted son of Binod Singh has passed away.
Among the books I send per Jhanda Singh, there is one entitled “303 Chritra Upakhyans” by the Lord (Guru Gobind Singh Ji). Give this to Sihan Singh in the Mahal (Matia Mahal in the interior of Delhi city). So far there is no trace of the book “Naam Mala.” I found the first part of Krishan Avatar but not the second. I shall send it when available.
There is a rumour in the country that Bundha (Singh Bahadur) has made his good escape from the Emperor’s jail. May the Guru protect him.
The Guru’s family (the descendents of the Guru) at Khandur have sent five tolas of gold as a gift for your son’s bride (an adopted son of Mata Ji, as all four Sahibzadhay had been martyred). Recover seventeen rupees from Jhanda Singh. I gave him five rupees to meet the expenses of the journey. These expenses will be incurred by him. The Mutsaddis have not yet settled accounts, otherwise I would have sent a draft from the city (presumably Lahore).
If my health improves I shall come in the month of Kartik.
Signed Mani Singh
- In light of the above stated historical evidence available to the Sikh Sangat worldwide, I strongly believe that the Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji in it’s entirety that is available today, is Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji’s Bani.
- Some Sikh Organisations like the MGC are possibly intentionally misinterpreting the so called Panth Parvanik Sikh Rehet Maryada (SRM) to confuse and mislead the sangat by saying that only three banis from the SDG namely, Jaap Sahib, Tuaparsaad Sawiye and Chaupai Sahib can be sung or read in the Gurdwaras for reasons best known to them. This leads many to question “Is there a strong possibility that the current leadership of MGC is aligned to the RSS?”
- It is my humble opinion that no scholar of Sikh Studies after Bhai Mani Singh Ji, regardless of how highly educated he may be, should be allowed to challenge the authenticity of the SDG as the Rachna (creation) of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji. The non believers have always used the word Rachna to mislead the Sangat by saying Rachna does not mean Bani. The word Rachna means creation. Hence, I postulate that The Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji which is Gurbani (Guru’s Bani) is the Rachna (Creation) of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji and I will continue to recite every word contained in it till my last breath.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Click to download MGC Letter 6Jan2017
Click to download Patna Letter – Ragi Darshan 10Apr2008