Sant Anoop Singh – simran
by Harnaak Singh
In part 1 we analysed some of those groups/individuals who are jubilant with the success of the MGC resolution approved by the Sangat.
What has the SANGAT APPROVED
In this part, Part 2, we will analyse the resolution that the Sangat has approved and the implications of this resolution on the Sangat and connected parties.
- The Resolution
We will first look at the key points in the Resolution. We will then perform an analysis. Figure 1 shows the relevant extract from the Resolution in Appendix A attached with the MGC EGM letter.
Figure 1: Extracts from the Resolution (Full page resolution included at the end in Figure 4)
Who are the parties involved? They are (see red underline in Figure 1)
- Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Ke Sewak (SGGSJKS)
- Datuk Sucha Singh
- The Sangat, who are members of the local Gurdwara, represented by their local Gurdwara Parbhandak Committee
- MGC who is elected every two years by two representatives from each member Gurdwara and hence represents the Sangat on a National Basis.
What caused MGC to prepare the PROPOSED RESOLUTION? These are shown in magenta boxes in Figure 1 and listed below.
- SGGSJKS are challenging the authority of MGC.
- Recent attack by Datuk Sucha Singh against the MGC.
What does the MGC want to achieve with the Resolution? This, shown in the red box in Figure 1 is listed below.
- The Sangat and Gurdwaras should reject the “challenges and attacks” which the MGC interprets as an attempt to divide the Sangat.
The most important aspect to understand is THE CHALLENGES AND ATTACKS which the MGC interprets as AN ATTEMPT TO DIVIDE THE SANGAT. We will analyse this first and look at allegations
- directed at SGGSJKS challenging the authority of MGC and
- directed at Datuk Sucha Singh for attack against the MGC.
- Allegation directed at SGGS Ji Ke Sewak
The allegation is that SGGS Ji Ke Sewaks are challenging the authority of MGC.
How does one challenge another’s authority? This is done by questioning and or rejecting the truth or validity of an edict or tenet issued by the authority.
From Figure 2 it appears that SGGS Ji Ke Sewaks were requesting a dialog session pertaining to the “Ek Granth Ek Panth Ek Maryada” slogan.
The Sewaks did not question or reject the “Ek Granth Ek Panth Ek Maryada” slogan. Requesting a dialog session is not questioning or rejecting the validity of the slogan.
How is MGC able to interpret this as an attempt to DIVIDE THE SANGAT is anybody’s GUESS.
It appears that MGC is not prepared to explain/discuss the Ek Granth Ek Panth Ek Maryada concept with anyone including the Sangat. THIS DOES NOT GIVE THE CONFIDENCE THAT THEY TRULY UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT, ITS IMPLICATIONS AND ITS IMPACT. It appears more like they are DIRECTED to promote this concept.
ADDITIONALLY, if a request for dialog is considered a “challenge” then there can NEVER BE A CHECK AND BALANCE; MGC being free to act as it wishes. Is MGC a DICTATORIAL body?
Figure 2: The SGGSJ Ke Sewaks request for dialog
- Allegation directed at Datuk Sucha Singh
The allegation is that Datuk Sucha Singh is attacking the MGC in reference to the 3 part interview posted on Gurvichar. They have not detailed what the attack is?
What is an attack? An attack is as per Meriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary is
- set upon or work against forcefully
- to threaten with immediate capture
- to assail with unfriendly or bitter words
- to begin to affect: seize upon
- to act upon destructively.
Let us now see what “attacks” has Datuk Sucha performed on MGC. To find the answer we have to refer to the interviews. The main points in these interviews are summarised below.
Part 1: This part essentially outlines the following.
- The formation, principles and objectives of the MGC.
Our Living Guru
- SGGS Ji is the eternal Guru since Gurgaddi was bestowed upon the SGGS Ji by Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
- Guru Gobind Singh Ji in his wisdom did not include his Bani in the SGGS Ji.
- In the early days there was no problem with regards of the Kirtan and Katha of Dasam Granth Bani.
The authority of the Takhats
- The Takhats have issued a clear an unequivocal Gurmatta that Katha and Kirtan can be conducted as necessary.
- Only the Akaal Takhat has the right to prohibit or ban Kirtan, Katha or Parchar of Guru Gobind Singh Ji’s Bani
- Dasam Granth Bani is being recited and sung as Kirtan in Harmandir Sahib, the historical Gurdwaras and Gurdwaras and by Sikhs worldwide.
Part 2 and 3: This part essentially examines the stand taken by MGC about the ban on Katha and Kirtan of Dasam Granth Bani and matter related to the Takhats, SGPC, SRM, MGC constitution and the Global Sikh Council Inc.
Our Living Guru
- There is NO QUESTION ABOUT THE GURUSHIP SOVEREIGNTY OF SGGS Ji even by those who support and respect Dasam Granth.
- MGC supports the view that the concept of Living Guru SGGS Ji is a metaphor.
The MGC stand today
- MGC has BANNED THE RECITING OR PREACHING of Dasam Granth Bani in Gurdwaras
- With the exception of Jaap, 10 Swayyas and Benti Chaupai
The authority of the Takhats
- The prohibition and ban of Dasam Granth Bani in the Gurdwaras or anywhere is AGAINST the Gurmatta of Akaal Takhat and the stand and Advise of the other Takhats. (see Figure 3)
- The SUPREME AUTHORITY of the Sikh Panth is the Akaal Takhat.
The Sikh Rehat Maryada
- SRM is a guide to the code of conduct and conventions prepared under the auspices of the SGPC and accepted by SGPC.
- The SRM is not a complete treatise on Gurbani and Gurmat.
- The Sikh Rehat Maryada allows the Kirtan and Katha of compositions from SGGS Ji, Dasam Granth as well as composition by Bhai Gurdas and Bhai Nand Lal. (see Figure 3)
- The prohibition and ban of Dasam Granth Bani in the Gurdwaras or anywhere is also AGAINST the letter and spirit of the Sikh Rehat Maryada.
- SGPC is the creation of the act of Indian Parliament and charged with the management of certain historical Gurdwaras in Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh.
The Ek Granth Ek Panth Ek Maryada
- Discard Manmat and Durmat and Embrace Gurmat and there is unity. We need to understand Guru Ji’s sidhant (concept) and rules.
- The unrest is caused by certain elements are condemning, undermining insulting, belittling, denigrating and criticizing long held established foundational practices and traditions of the Sikhs such as Kirtan, Simran, Naam Japna, Amrit bani and Ardas.
- Why bring controversial elements to Malaysia for parchar? Who is bringing them?
Attacks on Niketan and SGGS Academy
- It is not about Niketan or SGGS Academy. It is about Guru Gobind Singh Ji’s Bani, Gurmat and established Sikh practices.
- They appear to be attacked due to their respect, support and parchar of Guru Gobind Singh Ji’s Bani (in Dasam Granth).
- Then are all the Takhats in transgression of the Sikh Rehat Maryada?
- The Dasam Granth Bani is also recited and sung in Kirtan in Harmandir Sahib, in the historical Gurdwaras, Gurdwaras and by Sikhs worldwide. Then all the Nihang Jathebandian, The Panthic Jathebandian worldwide, the Gursikhs mahapurakhs, preachers past and present indeed the panth, who respect and revere Dasam Pita’s Bani. Are they all deviationists.
MGC and Global Sikh Council Inc.(GSC)
- It is our religious duty to respect and obey the decisions of Akaal Takhat and the other Takhats whether they are in the form of Gurmata, Matta, Sandesh or Adesh, which is the basis of established Sikh practices.
- An organisation that represents Gurdwaras need to respect the authority of Akaal Takhat because the Gurdwaras owe their allegiance to the Akaal Takhat.
- Gurdwaras must remain independent from the groups, organizations or councils who support Gurmat Virodhi views and whose stand is opposed to the Takhats and against the Gurmattas, Hukumnamay or Sandesh is issued by the Akaal Takhat or the other Takhats.
- There is a stark difference between the principles, doctrines and objectives of the MGC and the GSC in the areas of Sikhi, Gurmat and Khalsa Panth.
- Some publicly available information about the GSC was listed.
MGC and its EXCO Committee
- Questions posed were: Are the leaders who give directions on matters of Gurbani and Gurmat (e.g. which bani is approved or prohibited, which bani can be recited as nitnem etc) themselves have been and are following the SRM that they champion? Are they keeping the rehat and reciting daily at least the bania they approve of and say can be recited?
- The President (Jathedar) and all four (4) Vice President must be knowledgeable in Sikh history and religion and MUST be Amritdharis (baptized)” and all office bearers of M.G.C must be Keshadari Sikh. Even the trustees appointed must be Amritdharis. Are they keeping to this?
Advise to the Gurdwaras, Sangat and MGC leadership
- No advice was given to the MGC leadership but alerted them to the points mentioned above.
- To the Sangat the advice was, read the Gurbani including Guru Gobind Singh Ji’s bani, Rehetnamey, Compositions of Bhai Gurdas and Bhai Nand Lal Ji yourself and understand the profound and underlying principles and message.
- The Gurdwaras and the Sangat especially the youth should take these matters seriously and stand up for Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Gurmat and Panth.
- Reclaim your council For Guru Gobind Singh Ji, For the Panth and For the Takhats.
Figure 3:Extract from the Akal Takhat/SGPC SRM per Guru Gobind Singh Ji’s composition
Summary from Datuk Sucha Singh’s interview
It is obvious from the above summary that MGC believes the “concept of LIVING Guru” is a “METAPHOR”.
Datuk Sucha points out that the prohibition and ban of Dasam Granth Bani is against the Gurmatta/Matta/Adesh/Sandesh of the Takhats as well as the Sikh Rehat Maryada.
Therefore it is wrong for MGC leadership effect their prohibition and ban of Dasam Granth Bani.
Further he is pointing out that the link between MGC and GSC is not in line the MGC’s constitution. Further MGC is associating with GSC who have are classed as Panth Dokhi the Takhats.
He also questions if the MGC leadership really follow the SRM and the requirements of the MGC constitution.
Finally, considering the above, he advises the Gurdwaras and Sangat to take the status quo seriously and reclaim the council.
So essentially he has shown the ban is wrong, MGC should abide by its constitution and Gurdwaras and Sangat should take the status quo seriously.
If the above is classed as an ATTACK then where does QUESTIONING and HIGHLIGHTING DISCREPANCIES stand?
How can posing QUESTIONS on and HIGHLIGHTING DISCREPANCIES cause DISUNITY of the Sangat?
- Consider Part 1 in relation to analysis of Part 2
Considering Part 1the following further points are noted.
SGGS Ji is a metaphor
- The first three dot points in the summary of Part one combined, support that MGC leadership considers the “concept of Living Guru” is a “METAPHOR”
Distortion of SRM
- They are propagating their own distorted version of the SRM.
Alignment with Anti-Gurmat Anti-Sikhi Groups
- There is strong indication that they are aligned with the Kala Afghana/ Ragi Darshan Ideology.
- What has the Sangat achieved by approving the Resolution?
The Sangat through this resolution has achieved the following.
- Rejected the request for dialog/discussion from the SGGS Ke Sewak to clarify the Ek Granth Ek Panth Ek Maryada concept espoused by the MGC.
- Approved the prohibition and ban of Dasam Granth Bani.
- Rejected the TAKHATS as the SUPREME authority for the Sangat in Malaysia.
- Accepted the distorted interpretations of SRM by the MGC.
- Allowed the MGC to be associated with the GSC who has been declared Panth Dokhi (not that the GSC “Panth Dokhi” Sandesh matters because the advice of the Takhats is no more the supreme authority for the Malaysian Sangat).
- Given the permission to invite controversial speakers who are known for their alignment with the Kala Afghana/ Ragi Darshan Ideology.
- Given the MGC free reign to implement what and when they wish. So MGC is sort of a Dictator of Sikh Religious affairs in Malaysia.
WHERE IS THE SIKHI IN MALALYSIA LEADING TO?
It is quite clear from the above analysis that the consequences are not very supportive of the Sikhi that has been practiced in Malaysia from the time of our forefathers.
MGC allegation that the actions of SGGSJ Ke Sewaks and Datuk Sucha Singh is and attempt to DIVIDE THE SANGAT is GROSSLY MISINTERPRETED by the MGC.
The Sangat has effectively GIVEN an OPEN CHEQUE to MGC in association with GSC to sign away the Sikhi in Malaysia to the Kala Afghana/ Ragi Darshan Ideology.
Now the actual consequence of this is very worrying. It is very bleak for Sikhi as has been practiced since our forefathers.
We will have a new religion a modified version of Sikhi, MOD-SIKH if I may call it, which is pinned on LOGIC/REASONING and CRITICAL THINKING devoid of SHARDA (note that intuition is linked to SHARDA).
Our future generation will be like ROBOTS devoid of intuition and innovative ideas.
For the information of the Sangat attached please find the English Version of the Akaal Takhat Maryada prepared under the auspices of the SGPC which is no more available at the SGPC website. Do not forget to view the attachments where Matta 41edicting 5 morning Banis and other Mattas/Adesh/Sandesh is included.
Figure 4: The MGC EGM Resolution
PDF of the SRM
Akal Takth SGPC Rehat-Maryada-English