Bhai Bhupinder Singh Paras – Prakash Guru Gobind Singh
by Dr Anurag Singh
I am uploading three documents today, which are part of lengthy list of manuscripts and books handed over by the Army and CBI to the SGPC Secretaries under proper receipts and affidavit on this count too was filed in the court where the case was lost.
- Last page of the receipt signed by Secretary Joginder Singh shows 76 Registers. These 76 Registers are part of a SGPC project on Guru Granth Sahib by the researchers, S.Randhir Singh, Gian Singh ji Nihang et al. Registers and other items mentioned in the previous page of the last are intact and are available in the library.
- In the second list, signed by Kulwant Singh and Bhan Singh (Secretaries), the rare Birs of Guru Granth Sahib (185), were received and new accession numbers were given, but were removed later on from the library and sold. It included the FIRST DAMDAMI BIR prepared at Damdama Sahib,Anandpur Sahib in 1684 CE and prepared by Bhai Haridas, grandfather of S.Jassa Singh Ramgarhia, and duly signed by Guru Gobind Singh. This Bir was given to Bhai Mani Singh ji for installation in Harimandar Sahib,when he was deputed by Guru Gobind Singh to take control of Harimandar Sahib in 1701 CE after the exit of Minas. This HISTORICAL BIR was sold in Crores and is now as per reports in USA.
- Third document is a part of long affidavit, filed by the CBI in the court, giving the dates of handing over the Library in instalments and Five articles which were not given back, and these five articles are of no use for the Library.
After receiving all the manuscripts, how the rare manuscripts and Hukamnamas were stolen/removed and sold is a matter of enquiry. SGPC had shown unusual keen interest to cover up this loot and plunder of Library material, through their inside Officials. All the library books and manuscripts, received are intact except the following:
- 28 Hukamnamas of the Sikh Gurus and holy Mothers.
- 185 Codices of Guru Granth Sahib.
- One rare Codex of Dasam Granth with pages written by Guru Sahib, but Golden Codex (Sunaiheri Bir) is available.
- One historical manuscript, called Baba Kaladhari Di Pothi of Bhai Mani Singh’s Bhagat Ratanavali (1734CE), on the basis of which Prof. Dharam Chand Batish did his Ph.D under Dr Surinder Singh Kohli.
- One rare decorated Janamsakhi of Guru Nanak Dev ji, and now in USA.
- Paintings of Sikh Ajaib Ghar, taken away by the army to retouch and restore them, taken and returned under proper receipt. Sothbee was forced to defer the auction of one painting of Maharaja Ranjit Singh when they came to know that it is stolen.
Now think is it not our duty to demand the full enquiry to punish the culprits and take back our historical and cultural heritage. Mr. Kulwant Singh, Secretary, who received an important portion of Library did not mention it in his book, “Shiromani Committe Nu Grahian”.
Gur Sahae hoe